Spontaneous adventure seekers or rock crawlers can stumble upon the most stunning hidden gem on earth… or simply bottom down on rocky terrains due to low visibility, especially if they’re travelling at night. The latter surely isn’t fun. For one, it can be damaging to your Jeep’s undercarriage.
In addition, it can simply wreck the day. This is when a set of rock lights can come to your rescue. But finding the right product for your Jeep isn’t all that easy.
Below are some product reviews and product buying guide, created to help you find the best jeep rock lights for your off-road travels.
Table of Contents
- Best Jeep Rock Lights Reviews
- 1. MICTUNING 2nd Gen LED Rock Lights
- 2. Amak LED Rock Light Kits
- 3. SUNPIE LED Rock Light Kits
- 4. Directtyteam RGB LED Rock Lights
- 5. Xprite Victory Series RGB LED Rock Lights
- 6. OPT7 Quantum 4pc LED Rock Lights
- 7. Ampper Waterproof LED Neon Underglow Lights
- 8. Sundopt Rgb Led Rock Lights
- 9. SUNPIE RGB LED Rock Lights
- 10. LAMPHUS Stardust SDRL14 Offroad LED Rock Light Kits
- What to Look for When Buying Jeep Rock Lights
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Jeep Rock Lights Reviews
1. MICTUNING 2nd Gen LED Rock Lights
I bought the MICTUNING LED Jeep JK rock lights with the anticipation of an entertainment-filled lighting solution that goes beyond the simple purpose of exposing rocks and debris on the road.
I was interested in the many add-ons that come with this kit. Being tech-savvy, having the ability to control lighting on the Jeep from my phone speaks to my inner nerd.
However, I find that the Bluetooth connectivity is rather unstable and drops out quite easily, so I couldn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The lights themselves work great though, projecting a very bright light beam that keeps my vision sharp at night and offers a level of safety during my travels.
Even though I have subjected them to many rough terrains and harsh weather conditions, they have stayed solid with minimal damages. Scratches and chips are barely visible.
Another thing to keep in mind is that because of the complex set-up of this kit, so it may take longer than most other kits out there to install properly. So set aside at least half a day or so before rolling up your sleeves and getting down to business.
To sum it up, below are the advantages and disadvantages of the MICTUNING LED rock lights.
- Come with a ton of features including Bluetooth controller from smartphones, music mode and multicolour mode
- Versatile in its purposes, from rock lights to interior or party light
- Allow for changes in brightness and flash frequency
- High IP68 rating with a solid and impact-resistant shell
- Super bright LED chips
- Controller not waterproof
- App not so user-friendly
- Can take a while to install
- Control box can overheat after extended use
All in all, despite the complicated installation process, this MICTUNING light kit offers great value for money, if you’re looking for a set of rock lights with additional features for occasional entertainment.
2. Amak LED Rock Light Kits
Its performance makes me more than happy as the premium LED chips definitely live up to their standards.
The housing is solid and well-built, made with durable materials, helping to keep the scratches to a minimum. Good heat dissipation is also in place to avoid overheating.
It provides a fantastic lighting solution for my off-road trips, illuminating every obstacle in my path. I’ve had it installed on both the front and rear of the Jeep, which helps provide me greater visibility as I backup my vehicle. Being able to aware of subjects behind is just as important as knowing what’s in front, and I can’t stress this enough.
A few months into setting it up, one light has gotten a bit dimmer than the rest, though I suspect it’s a faulty issue, as it has always been less bright than others. It still works nonetheless and the assembly is still as bright as when they were first installed, so it’s not too big a deal.
To summarise, below are the main pros and cons of the Amak Jeep TJ rock lights kit.
- Waterproof and shockproof light pods
- Excellent level of brightness to serve its purpose perfectly
- Heat dissipation in place to help prevent overheating
- High level of compatibility that sees it suit multiple vehicles, makes and models
- High IP rating and resistance to harsh environments
- Possibility of faulty lights in a kit
Overall, these underglow lights for Jeep could be the hero you’re holding out for if you’re after something simple that serves its purpose well. While the faulty issue can be common, the money-back guarantee program should give you enough assurance.
3. SUNPIE LED Rock Light Kits
This SUNPIE Jeep Wrangler rock lights kit doesn’t come with a lot of fancy bonuses, but it’s a perfect piece of accessories of its kind. The quality LED chips can offer a superb level of brightness, making visible every piece of debris on the road. 6 months on and they’re still as effective as when I first bought them.
The seal of the light pods has proved to be highly resilient and impact-resistant, having been subjected to mud and wet conditions without any noticeable adverse effects.
Another great thing about these lights is that they are compatible with numerous types of vehicles, from cars to trucks, caravans, motorbikes, yachts and more. This makes them a perfectly versatile piece of ancillary lighting to be handed down or given away easily, so no need for wastage.
The kit is easy to install and only took me an hour or so to set it up completely and properly. Everything worked the first time I ran it. I purchased a standard white LED kit, so there’s no fancy colorful display, though I do understand that there are RGB options for those seeking a bit more excitement.
In a nutshell, the main pros and cons of the SUNPIE LED rock lights amount to the points below.
- Premium LED chips for excellent brightness
- Reasonably priced for a 6-pod light kit
- Durable shell with an effective weatherproof seal
- Compatible with numerous types of vehicle
- Only one LED chip per light pod
All in all, the SUNPIE LED rock lights significantly offer a practical lighting solution for night-time off-road driving. If you’re searching for a simple, no-frills light kit, this product won’t be a disappointment.
4. Directtyteam RGB LED Rock Lights
The Directtyteam RGB Jeep LED rock lights kit includes 4 light pods, with the additional features that allow me to connect and control the lights through my phone. Both the app and Bluetooth connectivity have room for improvements, however. The lights offer a huge range of colors that I could choose from and possibly more than I would ever need.
The Music mode works great since I have not had any issues with it so far. Altogether, this light kit has turned my Jeep into a party itself.
With an IP rating of 68, these lights have also proved their resilience against rough terrains and adverse weather conditions. Traveling off the beaten track has not been a cause for concern, other than a few minor scratches here and there from flying rocks and tree branches. But that is anticipated, given the types of routes I usually choose.
In summary, below are the main pros and cons of the Directtyteam RGB LED rock lights.
- A wide array of light colors
- A wide light angle, allowing for good coverage
- Premium shell material with excellent heat resistance
- Great protection of light with waterproof and shockproof casing
- Adjustable mounting accessories offering easy installation
- There’s room for improvements for the app and Bluetooth connectivity
Altogether, this Directtyteam rock light kit offers a great ancillary lighting option that will not only keep you safe off-road, but also fill your Jeep Wrangler with entertainment; perfect for a fun-filled camping night.
5. Xprite Victory Series RGB LED Rock Lights
This Jeep Wrangler underglow rock light assembly provides me with enough light pods to have them installed to both the front and rear bumpers. I had to buy an extension cable separately, however, to get to the rear of the Jeep, which wasn’t a big deal as they didn’t cost a fortune.
Installation wasn’t the easiest I had attempted, but with the in-depth instructions that come with the product, I got it properly installed in the end.
The light pods are of high quality, having shown no issues with water, dust or corrosion. As they’re easy to care for, and I do care for them regularly, the brightness is still as strong as when I first bought and installed the lights. They serve their main purpose well and work as anticipated, helping to keep my vision sharp during my night-time off-road trips.
The 3rd gen Bluetooth was easy and fast to connect. It works better than what comes with most other light kits. Through this Bluetooth, I could control the lights and the many functions they offer including blinking, flashing, and the degree of brightness.
To summarise, below are the main pros and cons of the Xprite Victory RGB LED rock lights.
- Reliable Bluetooth connectivity that does work as expected
- Countless colour options to choose from
- Numerous light functions and displays
- Great construction that withstands harsh conditions
- Moderately easy to install, though clear instructions are provided
All in all, the Xprite Victory RGB LED rock lights can offer a great solution for your nighttime off-road driving. They go for a reasonable price, with a good number of light pods and many add-ons for a fun driving trip.
6. OPT7 Quantum 4pc LED Rock Lights
The OPT7 Quantum LED rock light kit offers a 4-piece kit, providing a happy medium between the plain white lights and those with way too many add-ons.
The shell is made of aluminum alloy, which comes with optional shockproof rubber pads to allow for greater protection against rocky and rough terrains. Though aluminum alloy can be prone to corrosion, it still exhibits a degree of resistance within the atmosphere.
In addition, with regular care and maintenance, I have yet to see any issues with corrosion on my light pods. Wet and muddy terrains have not been a cause for concern either.
I’m very pleased with how bright the lights are. They increase the visibility I have on the road and expose every obstacle present in my path. The premium CREE® LED chips have definitely delivered.
- Multicolour LED light options for off-road driving at night
- Super bright lights for high visibility
- High IP rating offering great protection against harsh conditions
- Optional rubber pads for reducing impact subject to the light pods
- A limited number of colors, though it may depend on personal preferences
- No instructions included for operating the remote controller
All in all, the OPT7 Quantum rock light kit is highly practical and offers great value for the price it’s going for. If you’re after a simple solution for off-road driving at night, without too much focus on the usual bells and whistles, this kit is definitely worth a try.
7. Ampper Waterproof LED Neon Underglow Lights
The Ampper LED underglow lights for Jeeps are a plain white kit that offers a practical underbody lighting for my night travels through tough terrains. The kit comes with 4 light pods, though you can find another two options, one with 2 light pods, and the other with 6.
Without the proper installation instructions, I had the lights professionally installed. The seller has also recommended going down this route, to help prevent improper installation that could result in the lights catching on fire. For that same reason, I would recommend that you do the same.
Other than that, the lights deliver a terrific level of brightness, helping to keep me safe as I tread the rocky paths to my journey. They have prevented the many incidents that would have seen my adventures well and truly ruined.
To summarise, below are the pros and cons of the Ampper LED rock light kit.
- High-quality die-cast aluminum housing
- 3 premium CREE LED chips per light pod
- IP68 with a high level of resistance for water, dust and impact
- Can be mounted anywhere on a Jeep
- Compatible with all vehicle makes and models
- Serve multi-purposes besides the main usability
- Good overheating prevention method through the protective polymer
- No installation instructions included in the package
- Professional help is required to install the lights
Overall, there’s little to fault the Ampper LED rock light kit with. It’s a perfect ancillary lighting option that serves its purpose at a great price.
8. Sundopt Rgb Led Rock Lights
This 8-pod rock light kit offers fantastic lighting for when I travel off-road at night. It helps provide a high level of visibility that exposes every rock and debris on the road, keeping traveling safe and exciting. In addition, it lends my Jeep Wrangler a super cool and amazing look. Complements have come flying my way ever since I had them installed.
The operation of the lights can be executed from the palm of my hand. All I needed to do was to download the app and connected it with the control box through Bluetooth. I have noticed, however, that the connectivity can sometimes drop out, though that hasn’t happened too often.
It wasn’t clear as to whether the control box was waterproof the first time I installed the kit. As a result, I decided to be cautious and position it such that it wouldn’t get exposed to wet conditions for too long. This has helped prevent malfunctions thus far and I do recommend you do the same.
To summarise, the pros and cons of this light kit amount to the points below.
- Super bright CREE RGB LED chips, 3 per light pod
- Bluetooth connected and controlled
- Multiple functions including blinking, flashing, adjustable level of brightness, etc.
- Easy installation, accompanied by a detailed Instruction
- Die-cast aluminum housing built to last
- Tough glasses designed to resist impact, water and dust
- Wires are long enough to be compatible with most vehicles
- App and Bluetooth connectivity can be weak at times
In general, this 8-pod rock light kit allows for versatile applications that give your Jeep a fresh, unique look, without compromising on the quality or the main purpose it supposedly serves.
9. SUNPIE RGB LED Rock Lights
The SUNPIE RGB LED rock lights likely offer many great benefits, on top of their effective lighting during night-time off-road driving. I particularly like the variety of functions that come with the lights, including flashing, blinking and adjustable level of brightness. This provides an amazing, eye-catching effect.
The lights are connected and operated through a smartphone app, particularly appealing to tech-savvy Jeep owners. The housing is made of die-cast aluminum, which affords hardcore protection against impact and corrosion. Coupled with regular care and maintenance, you should see this light kit last a long time and its effectiveness retained.
The only fault I have found with this kit is that it doesn’t include an extension wire. While the installation was a breeze, the extension wire was an utmost necessity. It was a pain to have to buy it separately, but in the end, it wasn’t too much of a big deal and helped facilitate the installation process, so I was pleased.
In a nutshell, below are the main pros and cons of the SUNPIE LED rock light kit.
- Controlled with smartphones via an app
- Offering timing function, music mode, and flashing
- An infinite amount of colors to choose from
- Die-cast aluminum housing and tough glasses for durability
- Built to withstand impact
- An extension wire is not included in the package
Overall, the SUNPIE LED rock light kit offers bang for your buck, with 4 versatile light pods that offer safe off-road exploration as well as fun-filled travels.
10. LAMPHUS Stardust SDRL14 Offroad LED Rock Light Kits
I was interested in the LAMPHUS Stardust rock light kit for a variety of reasons, from its high-intensity LED chips with 6 chips per pod, to its wide beam angle. It has given me plenty of light to travel with. The visibility is especially superb, with great coverage of a wider area.
The aluminum housing has taken a beating without exhibiting any issues, from water and dust to impact from flying rocks and debris. The lights are still effective and projecting an extraordinary level of brightness. The cool white light is especially fantastic for my concentration during the backcountry travels.
The only drawback to this product is that it can overheat quite easily after extended use. There are reportedly several solutions available to solve this problem, though I have chosen to practice caution and only used them at night. This has, to an extent, helped prevent damages and malfunctions.
To sum it up, below are the main pros and cons of the LAMPHUS Stardust LED rock light kit.
- 6 high-intensity LED chips per light pod with unmatched brightness
- Aluminum housing built to resist dust and water
- Ultra-wide light beam angle for covering a large area
- Mounting rubber pads included for bars or flat surface mounting
- Overheating after extended use
All in all, the LAMPHUS Stardust rock light kit is an excellent choice if you’re looking for an excellent lighting option with a high level of visibility for a wider area.
What to Look for When Buying Jeep Rock Lights
It’s essential to understand how these ancillary lights work and the many factors to take into account when choosing the perfect rock lights for jeep wrangler. Below are some factors to familiarise yourself with before you go shopping.
Brightness and Coverage
Brightness and coverage are easily two of the most important things to consider when picking your jeep wrangler rock lights.
Firstly, the brighter the lights, the better you can see and safer to drive in the dark.
Secondly, good coverage means that you can spot as many obstacles, as far on the road as you can. The level of brightness is often stated and displayed as lumens output. The higher the lumens, the brighter the lights.
However, it’s not a recommended standalone metric that you should use to compare different light kits or brands. Lumens per watt (L/W) is a better measurement unit to adopt for such a comparison.
Compatibility should be at the top of your priority list, as you surely don’t want a light kit that won’t fit your Jeep. Not every light kit is made for every type of vehicle on the market.
Finding one that is compatible with your Jeep Wrangler won’t be too challenging, however. Most retailers should clearly state what types of vehicles, or makes and models their products are compatible with, be it in an online or physical store.
You can also do your due diligence and conduct your own research on a particular product if it tickles your fancy, but you shouldn’t commit unless you know for certain that the lights are made for your vehicle.
Build and Materials
Strength is another important factor to take into account. Situated close to the ground and exposed to dust, rocks and a great many other things. Hence, it is essential that your rock lights are made of strong and resilient materials.
You will find that most Jeep under lights come with die-cast aluminum housings. While they are resistant to impact and corrosion to some extent, regular care and maintenance are still key to increasing their lifespan.
Durability is essential in all types of products we purchase, rock lights included. It’s not enough to have a light kit that offers effective lighting off-road. Durability is a must-have when it comes to an accessory that is, most of the time, exposed to impact from debris and rocks on the road. Having the lights broken down on you in the time of need will see you regret the choice you’ve made.
To gauge how durable a set of rock lights is, you can rely on the IP rating, which tells you the strength of the lights as well as their effectiveness in weathering the elements. The general rule of thumb is that the higher the rating, the more durable the lights. This means that debris and rocks aside, your lights can also handle wet and muddy terrains rather well.
All the Add-Ons
Rock lights can come with a lot of bells and whistles, from Bluetooth controller to music mode, colorful displays and lighting functions. If you’re after something as simple plain white rock lights, just enough to serve the main purpose, you may not want to pay extra for these add-ons that you will never use.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is a Jeep Rock Light?
A rock lights Jeep is an ancillary light, designed to keep your off-road adventure safe. It can be mounted underneath your Jeep. The name “rock lights” grows out of the purpose they serve, which is to illuminate and expose every rock and debris in front of you, allowing you to avoid incidents effectively.
A variety of rock light kits on the market offer more than just their core function of projecting light. They can come with an impressive display with a vast array of colors. Music mode is also available for the party-goers, which is used to control the lighting and its speed based on the beat of the music.
These add-ons can often be connected and operated through a smartphone, allowing for controlling the lights from the palm of your hand.
How does It Work?
LED rock lights serve to illuminate the path as you go off-road in your Jeep Wrangler. Thanks to their positions on the car, which is often on the underside of the Jeep, they work to light up the road and everything on it.
They are often well-built and well-sealed, given that they are subject to tough terrains and can be exposed to the elements as you travel off-road. Weather is another factor that is usually considered when these lights are designed and manufactured.
You will often see rock lights being installed in the front of a vehicle, though they can also be mounted to the rear bumper to help sharpen your vision as you reverse. There’s nothing worse than reversing in the dark, not knowing what may hit you until it’s too late.
Who is This for?
If you’re a spontaneous adventure traveler, or for whatever reason, regularly drive in the dark and on tough terrains, these rock lights are your best friend. Rock lights aren’t exclusive to Jeep owners, however. You will find them used for a lot of other purposes, on other types of vehicles including bikes, motorbikes, caravans, trucks and so on.
What are the Different Types of Jeep Rock Lights?
A large majority of rock lights are LED lights, which are effective, durable and inarguably energy-efficient. The points of differentiation between different brands often consist of their light color options and the many modes they can offer, including music mode, the ability to change light speed, and connectivity through Bluetooth.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Jeep Rock Lights?
The usefulness of rock lights is indisputable, though not everyone needs them. If you do think rock lights are a must-have for your activities, below is a brief summary of the pros and cons of these products.
Advantages of LED rock lights
- They help to keep your off-road travels safe and incident-free
- They are durable, reliable and can offer great value for money
- They can lend your Jeep a new flashy look, coming in an unlimited number of colors
- They are reasonably priced and available pretty much everywhere
- They are easy to maintain and care for, thanks to their compact and resilient construction
Disadvantages of LED rock lights
- Installation isn’t always a walk in the park
- Some Bluetooth control boxes aren’t waterproof
- Bluetooth connectivity leaves a lot to be desired still
Frequently Asked Questions
What are The Most Trusted Jeep Rock Light Brands?
There are numerous manufacturers currently on the market, though the most reputable and commonly known brands include SUNPIE, Xprite, MICTUNING and Visionx. Each manufacturer offers a different quality of products and services. Therefore, it is important to conduct thorough research to ensure you find the right brand for your needs and hip pocket.
How to Install and Use?
Rock lights can be installed on the bumpers, both front and rear, the wheel wells or undercarriage of your Jeep. Installation can follow the general steps as below:
- Step 1: Mark where you want the lights to be attached
- Step 2: Drill a hole wide enough to fit the housing (alternatively, you can opt for a mounting bracket to hold the light pods in place)
- Step 3: Route all the wires to the engine compartment, being mindful of keeping them all together in order to keep everything tidy
- Step 4: Cut the positive wires, strip off the insulation and crimp them to a butt-connector; put some heat shrink around the wire extension the wires are meant to be connected to and crimp it to the connector; heat the heat shrink over the connection to fully insulate it.
- Step 5: Repeat the same steps above for the negative wires, but crimp them to a ring terminal instead of a connector.
Rock lights can be operated either through switches installed inside a Jeep’s cabin or through an app on a smartphone, connected via Bluetooth and the provided control box.
Where to Buy?
You can easily purchase a kit of rock lights online from big names such as Amazon or eBay. It’s necessary to do your due diligence, however, to ensure you get what you pay for. Do spend some time researching, reading the reviews and checking out customers’ videos to make sure you have the right product in the cart.
Alternatively, you can grab a kit in person at the hypermarkets such as Walmart and the likes. Otherwise, a specialty store is the way to go if you value a bit of personal advice and the ability to have the product in your hand and gauge the quality of the materials yourself.
What is The Warranty?
You will find a variety of warranty programs from different manufacturers, ranging from 1-year, 2-year to a lifetime. On top of a warranty, you may also find a money-back guarantee, varying across different retailers. This, to some degree, helps online shopping all the easier.
How to Care and Maintain?
Rock lights are generally easy to care for, given their sizes and constructions which are meant to withstand harsh environments and the elements. The key is to ensure that the glasses are clear and scratches are minimal. It also helps to check for condensation once in a while, especially after they’ve been subjected to wet conditions.
It’s also critical to note that not all Bluetooth control boxed are waterproof. You can spot this piece of information online in the seller’s disclaimer. If there’s no information as such, it’s better to reach out for an answer before committing to the product. If the control box isn’t waterproof, it’s important to be aware so as to provide sufficient protection.
If you’d rather go off the beaten track, a rock light assembly is your friend in the time of need. The versatility and many purposes these ancillary lights offer make for a great accessory to keep you safe while night driving on tough terrains.
Take advantage of the reviews and product buying guide provided above to help you find the best jeep rock lights that suit your needs and budget.